Sunday, August 30, 2009

In Memory of My Dad

Today is my dad's birthday. Every year on father's day, his birthday, and the day he died, I do a little something special in his memory. When I was in Georgia, I ate breakfast for dinner at The Cracker Barrel - his favorite restaurant. When I was in California, I ate dessert crepes for dinner at La Creperie - a restaurant we ate at the last time he and my mom visited me. When I was in DC, I started the day at Starbucks with an apple fritter - one of his favorite pastries, in memory of Saturday mornings as a kid when we brought donuts and Danishes from Hillcrest Bakery to the lot where my dad and uncle built boats - and a grande raspberry mocha - my twist on his favorite homemade espresso drink, a raspberry latte in a humongous mug. Now that I'm in Colorado, I've added a little flair to the DC ritual:

This afternoon we headed to The Market
(a great cafe and coffeeshop with tons of character)



in Larimer Square (a cute, historic block in Downtown Denver)


and enjoyed an apple strudel and black forest latte (a cherry mint mocha).

Yum!

1 comment:

  1. I just saw this, I hadn't seen it before! I'm gald you posted this it was nice to hear about what you did. We didn't get to do much because Seth was working and got home around 1:30am. But I did BBQ some ribs for when Seth got home. Sorry I haven't written you back on email, I just realized I hadn't! I will soon! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete