Monday, August 3, 2009

Sleep Aids

My baby can usually fall asleep anytime, anywhere.



But if he's feeling icky or super excited, he sometimes has a tough time falling asleep, even if he's really tired. Here are a few of my homemade sleep aids:
  1. Epsom salts - The magnesium in this salt relaxes baby's muscles. Dissolve 2 cups of Epsom salts in a shallow bath and soak for 20 minutes. This "prescription" came straight from our pediatrician in DC after she diagnosed my screaming baby with having a mama who was too stressed. Among other things, she had us take Epsom salts baths together several times a week and had me increase the magnesium-rich foods in my diet.
  2. Lavender essential oil - The smell of lavender relaxes baby's central nervous system. Add a couple drops to your bath water, or mix a few drops with olive oil and rub into baby's skin. Lavender is one of the few essential oils that can be used straight on adults' skin, but I always dilute it in olive or another carrier oil when using it on my baby's skin.
  3. Massage - If baby is still enough for a massage, this can be a helpful way to calm baby to sleep. We took a series of very helpful baby massage classes at the DC Breastfeeding Center. I got so much more out of the classes than I would have just from a book, but parents who are unable to take a class can still learn a lot from the book Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents by Vimala McClure.
  4. Chamomile flowers - This sunflower relative acts as a sedative by soothing the nervous system. Brew a single cup by filling a mesh tea ball half full and letting it steep in hot water for at least 10 minutes; brew a quart by pouring 1/3 cup directly into a mason jar and letting it steep in hot water for at least 10 minutes, then pouring the tea through a wire mesh strainer. A breastfeeding mama can drink the tea immediately before or during nursing, and the herbal properties will transfer almost instantaneously to the breast milk, automatically diluted to the appropriate strength. If giving tea directly to a baby from birth through 2 years, 2-3 teaspoons of tea equals a 1 cup adult dose. If giving tea directly to a child from 2-6 years, 1/4 cup tea equals a 1 cup adult dose. If giving tea directly to a child from 6-12 years, 1/2 cup tea equals a 1 cup adult dose.
  5. Sleep tincture - I first made a batch of this tincture when I was pregnant and waking up often in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, but then having trouble falling back asleep again. I was amazed at the results - 4 droppers full and I was able to get back to sleep quite quickly!! I have only used this on my baby a handful of times, but it has worked great every time. I keep it on hand for "special" situations when I can tell he is super tired, can't fall asleep or stay asleep, and none of my other remedies seem to be working. Click here to read about the ingredients and learn how to make your own.
If you have another natural sleep aid that has worked for you and your baby, I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment