Thursday, August 6, 2009

Why the 8th day?

In Genesis 17:12 God said to Abram, "And every male among you who is eight days old shall be circumcised throughout your generations."

Why eight days? God's laws not only have spiritual significance, they are also based upon scientific laws - the scientific laws He Himself created. God created the human body and so is intimately familiar with its every detail. Babies are born without a natural supply of vitamin K, the blood clotting vitamin. As babies nurse, vitamin K develops in their intestines. After seven days of breast feeding, babies have a sufficient supply of vitamin K to clot the blood during and after a circumcision. Amazing!

A typical baby boy in the United States is circumcised during the first three days of his life. Because such a baby does not have a sufficient amount of vitamin K to clot the blood, a doctor must first administer a vitamin K shot. In fact, doctors routinely administer vitamin K shots to all newborn babies, regardless of whether they are boys or girls.

I birthed my baby at home and opted to forgo the shot. But I did want my baby to be circumcised. Because our pediatrician did not perform circumcisions, I arranged for a mohel - a Jewish rabbi who performs circumcisions - to circumcise my baby if he was a boy. The mohel came to our house on the eighth day (counting the day of birth) and circumcised my baby in our bedroom.

Five things really surprised me. First: The entire procedure took less than five minutes. Second: The mohel did not numb the area prior to the procedure. Third: My baby stopped crying immediately after the procedure, making me suspect he was crying primarily because he did not like his legs being held open. Fourth: The area did not bleed much. Fifth: Although a little fussy the day after the procedure, my baby's recovery was otherwise very smooth. I am pretty certain watching the circumcision traumatized me more than it traumatized my baby.

Our mohel was incredibly kind and compassionate, left me with everything I needed for the after-care, answered all my questions before leaving, called the next morning to make sure things were healing properly, and even stopped by a few months later to see my baby and answer a question I had. Thank you, Rabbi Rappaport.

BEFORE
With our children's pastor, who held my baby during the circumcision:


AFTER
With mama and Rabbi Rappaport:


With a friend's mom, who was my emotional support during the circumcision:

3 comments:

  1. I can see how it would tramatize you!!! It makes me sick thinking about watching it happen :) But at least he will never remember right :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lanae I just wanted to say thanks for following my blog, even though it doesn't seem anyone else does! It is nice to at least get comments from you haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Informative stuff- the Vitamin K info was so cool. Quite intentional on God's par, eh? =-)

    ReplyDelete