Saturday, August 15, 2009

Kombucha Sweepstakes Part 3

I bottled my first batch of kombucha (since moving to Colorado) last night. It all started three weeks ago when I received a priority mail package with my "winnings" (a kombucha scoby) inside. Here's the recipe I followed:

Bring 3 quarts water to a boil.


Add 1 cup organic sugar. Simmer 15 minutes.


Remove from heat. Fill tea ball with 4 teaspoons organic black loose leaf tea.
Steep 15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.


Pour 1 cup starter kombucha into a 4 quart glass jar.


Add sweet tea.


Top with kombucha scoby. Here, it sank to the bottom.


Cover jar with a tea towel and rubber band.


Place in a dark place away from strong smells. Brew for 3 weeks.
Ideal growing temperature is 80-89 degrees.


Remove mother and baby scobies.
Here, one is floating on top and the other is floating in the middle.



Pour kombucha tea into pint size bottles and refrigerate. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Wow very cool! Is it as yummy as store bought? Those scobies are really gross looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not quite as tasty as store bought, but it is so much cheaper! It would probably taste closer to store bought if I had a juicer and could add some fresh squeezed juice to concoct some of the store bought flavors. Also, it seems to taste a bit different out here than it did in DC, so I'm planning on brewing the current batch for 4 weeks to see if that makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to look it up as it was a bit of a mystery to me. You are quite brave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, glad it turned out well for you.

    ReplyDelete