Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Month in Our Life: August 2009

My baby is getting STRONG! This month he bettered his running skills and also learned how to walk up and down stairs (holding on to me or a railing). Although walking by himself across the park or around the neighborhood could potentially still take all morning, he easily moves faster than me around the house and the office. And he loves being chased! When he starts running, he usually looks back to see if I'm following him. Thankfully, he is pretty good at obeying "stop" and "stay" (we started working on "stop" at about 12 1/2 months and "stay" at about 13 1/2 months), although he still regularly tests his limits by purposefully putting one toe past the stop line or outside the stay area, and looking to see if I'm looking and will react.


And a quick video in which the door really is as big and heavy as it looks:


My baby is becoming a CREATIVE COMMUNICATOR! If he is hungry, he lets me know by pulling out the red sparkly vinyl mat on which usually sit and eat at the office. (And if I'm hungry, I tell him to get out the red mat, and by the time I've got our food out, he's already placed the mat on the floor, albeit slightly askew.) If I suggest we read some books, he'll pick a few out of the book basket. And if I tell him to put something away, he usually drops or throws it in the nearest basket or bag. (We started working on "put it away" at about 11 months, and although he usually thinks it's really fun to put things away, he often gets sidetracked and starts playing with whatever he is supposed to be putting away.)



My baby is sort of STARTING TO TALK! He can possibly say four words/phrases:
  • gato (Spanish for cat)
  • dog
  • all done
  • agua (Spanish for water) - this typically sounds similar to "apple"
He does not yet say mama. Although he can blabber mamamamamamamamamamama, he does not ever seem to say it in connection to me.

While I don't yet have any clear words on video, here's a quick clip of this month's favorite sound:


Try our new favorite recipe from Rejuvenate Your Life! Recipes for Energy by Serene Allison, published by Above Rubies.

Rich Carob Treat Balls
3/4 c tahini
3/4 c carob powder
1 T honey
1/2 c raisins
1/2 c chopped nuts and seeds

(I used a small handful each of pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts, and almonds.)

Mix together. Roll into balls with lightly oiled hands. Freeze and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. He's so cute. My oldest was very good at doing what I wanted him to do also. Boys are awesome although mine seem to be bossy. They like to tell me what to do. I just give them the look and then we usually laugh.

    You are reminding me of all the things I need to be teaching my youngest. I have gotten lazier with each child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, he's off-and-on about obeying "no touch" which is probably the most important one. We started working on that one at about 6 1/2 months when he started moving around, but looking back I think it probably would have been better to wait longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun Lanae! He is so funny! I love how he pulls out the matt when he wants to eat, that is so cute! I can't believe he is running around! And walking up the stairs!! Adaiah is almost crawling now, and she is getting into everything! If she sees a piece of paper on the floor she gets to it so fast we can't believe it! Time to baby proof!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is amazing! Thank you for sharing his latest acheivements with us!

    ReplyDelete