Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ear Ache Remedies

If I wasn't a believer in the power of herbal healing before my baby had his first ear infection, I definitely would have been a believer after! Two days before his 6 month checkup (at 7 1/2 months), my baby got abnormally fussy and started persistently pulling on his ear. I mentioned this to our pediatrician, and after a quick look into his ears confirmed my baby had an ear infection. She gave us a two-day treatment plan that worked almost magically. A few months later my baby again got abnormally fussy and started persistently pulling on his ear. So I implemented our treatment plan and, again, things were back to normal two days later. Here's what our pediatrician had us do:
  • Children's Ear Formula by Golden Flower Chinese Herbs - 1 ml every three hours. This liquid formula contains 13 Chinese herbs. Our pediatrician gave me a set of small syringes with the needles removed, and I used one to easily suck the tincture up out of the bottle and then "inject" it into my baby's mouth. He loves the flavor!
  • Mullein Flower Ear Oil by Wish Garden Herbs - 2 drops every two hours. These drops contain garlic and mullein flower, an herbal painkiller that calms inflamed nerves. I found it best to have a cotton ball or clean cotton cloth handy to cover the ear immediately after putting these drops in so that they had time to make it down the ear canal before my baby stuck his finger in his ear.
If my bottle of garlic-mullein oil ever runs out, I might try making my own oil. A Bulk Herb Store article instructs readers to crush a fresh clove of garlic, place it in a tablespoon of warm oil, let the oil sit for five minutes, then strain out the garlic. I would probably try and figure out how to infuse almond oil with mullein, then use that as the base. If you've ever tried making your own garlic oil, or have another natural ear infection remedy, I'd love to hear about it!

2 comments:

  1. I like to use Hydrogen Peroxide. You have to let it sit in the ear for about 15 minutes so it doesn't really work for little ones. We do the peroxide then put a little olive oil and tea tree in the ear. Drink lots of water and take vit. C. I've only had to treat one ear infection and he was much better at the end of the day and symptomless the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grate an onion and place a drop of two of the onion juice in the infected ear. Plug up with a cotton ball. Lay on your side for awhile if you can for maximum benefit. Great for pain and killing infection. Onions contain allicin just like garlic. Works great and it is quick and easy, I don't even bother to peel the onion. Only takes a small amount of onion to get enough juice for a few drops.

    ReplyDelete