Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Teething Remedies

My baby and I are not just experts at teething pain, we are also experts at teething pain relief. When I try and imagine how it must feel to have a cutting tooth, I sometimes picture a jagged rock slicing through the skin in my leg. But unlike your regular run-of-the-mill sharp object breaking the skin, then coming out and allowing the skin to heal, this jagged rock stays in place so you have to learn to live with the pain. Ouch!! No wonder my baby was waking up every 15-45 minutes during his sixth month. And those molars must really hurt, with four separate points plus a flat piece in the middle! Thankfully we honed our pain relief techniques. Here's what worked for us:
  1. Nursing - A baby don't just nurse for food and hydration. He also nurse for stress and pain relief, to feel safe, and to cuddle with his mama, among other things. This is hands down better than any "baby tranquilizer" on the market.
  2. Hylands homeopathic teething tablets - By far the best teething tranquilizer invented by humans, these tiny herbal tablets dissolve instantly in baby's mouth and provide immediate relief (within minutes or even seconds). Before my baby was about six months, I held each tablet in his mouth until I could feel it start to dissolve. Now I put a couple tablets in his hands and he feeds himself. If the first two tablets don't seem to provide complete relief, I give him another two every 15 minutes until the pain is completely gone. And if a few doses don't solve the problem, the problem almost certainly isn't teething. (Note: I also tried the Hylands homeopathic teething gel, but it didn't seem to work one iota.)
  3. Catnip and passionflower tea - Catnip and passionflower are both calming herbs. If mama drinks a cup of this tea immediately before nursing, the herbal properties will transfer to baby through mama's milk. As an added bonus, this tea also helps mama calm down after a rough time listening to her baby cry in pain. Just mix equal parts loose catnip and passionflower leaf.
  4. High calcium tea - This tea is less an immediate remedy than it is a general help during times of bone (and teeth) growth. I try to drink at least 1 cup a day, but sometimes brew a quart and sip on it throughout the day. The recipe comes from Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Remedies for Children's Health:
1 part nettle
2 parts oats
1 part raspberry leaf
2 parts lemongrass
2 parts lemon balm
3 parts rose hips
1/2 part cinnamon
a pinch stevia to sweeten (optional)

I make a big batch by adding the herbs to a ziplock baggie and shaking to mix. Then it's ready to go when I'm ready to brew! When brewing a single cup of tea, I fill my mesh tea ball half full and let it steep for 10 minutes. When brewing a quart of tea, I pour 1/2 cup of the herb mixture directly into a mason jar with hot water, steep for anywhere between 10 minutes and 10 hours, then pour the tea through a wire mesh strainer.

We also tried some pop-it-in-the-freezer teething toys, but they didn't really seem to make a difference. If you have another natural teething remedy that worked for you, I'd love to hear about it!

3 comments:

  1. I use the Teething tablets too. At first she would try to spit them out but now she seems to get excited when she sees them! My mom said that you give Simeon something at night before bed to help him sleep. What is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he's fussy from teething I typically give him a couple teething tablets and that usually helps him fall asleep. But your mom might be thinking about my homemade sleep tincture...I've only given it to him three or four times, but it works great! I'll try and post about it soon. When we were in DC I would brew a quart of chamomile tea if he was really fussy, and drink it all right before or during nursing. That worked pretty well on both him and me:) I've been thinking I should start doing that again. He is so active these days that he wants to keep on moving even if he's really, really tired. I could use the sleep tincture more often, but I'm trying to keep it for "special" nights when he really needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah that is what my mom was telling me about. She isn't too bad yet about going to sleep but I thought it might be good to at least know about for when her teething gets worse!

    ReplyDelete