Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Happy Birthday, America!

This time last year I had a 1 week old baby, so our 4th of July festivities were limited to watching and listening to home grown fireworks displays (quite impressive, actually - they probably rival many small town displays) from our bedroom window in the heart of DC. I got into the spirit by creating a little stars and stripes theme for the blankets on the bed:



This year that baby was a toddler, so we were able to expand our celebratory activities a bit. Late morning/early afternoon we joined some other neighborhood families for a picnic in the park. The strawberries were a big hit:





In the evening we headed to a friend's house down the street for a barbecue and some (illegal) kiddie fireworks. My favorite was a tank that blew smoke out the top, sparks out the back, and "drove" down the street a couple feet. I must say this suburban city has quite a different idea than DC does about what should and should not be legal:



And a few parting words from the star of the show:

4 comments:

  1. Awwww! He is talking :) So cute! The strawberries look fun! And the grass looks sooooo nice! I want some! He is just growing so fast isn't he? I already think that about Adaiah and she is only 4 1/2 months! I can't even imagine when she turns 1!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I get homesick for water (lakes, rivers, oceans, the Sound), I should think of you guys. Not only do you not have water in the desert, you don't even have grass! What troopers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi and happy birthday to your little guy! Thanks so much for your thoughtful post on my blog. It totally made my day to know that a blog that I just started a month ago has encouraged someone already. Thank you for blessing me with your message!
    Blessings,
    Lisa
    www.lovethelordandknityoursocks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, one year later, a very different 4th of July! So cool to see the changes in him, and you!

    ReplyDelete