Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Difference Between Boulder and Denver


A sampling of the type of comments we get when out and about in Boulder:
  • Oh, isn't the Ergo great?
  • He looks so comfortable in there!
  • I'm sure he loves being so close to his mama.
  • Six yards of cloth just tied around your body? What a great idea! (referring to the Moby wrap)
  • Where did you get that? My daughter/friend/neighbor is having a baby soon and I bet she'd love that carrier!
A sampling of the type of comments we get when out and about in Denver:
  • Are you planning on carrying him until he's out of high school?
  • Your back must be killing you!
  • When are you going to stop carrying him?
  • If you keep carrying him, he'll expect you to carry him forever.
  • Aren't you ever going to use a stroller?
Needless to say, I fit into the Boulder scene much more than the Denver scene!!!

(One noteworthy exception to the typical Denver comments was a Japanese lady who told me women in Japan carry babies on their backs so they can do housework without the baby getting in the way. She then proceeded to suggest I ask the next person I know who is going to Japan if they could bring me back a Japanese style baby carrier... Anyone taking a trip to Japan soon?!?)

3 comments:

  1. I would love to get one of those ergo carriers, they are so expensive though! But they look so comfy! And you can wear them on your back with them! I think Adaiah would love that. Does it hurt your back at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Ergo is a super smart investment because you can carry your baby/child for so long - up to 35 pounds. And I learned in my baby wearing class at the DC Breastfeeding Center that they are actually tested for well over 45 pounds, so they're super sturdy. A few different moms have told me that they have comfortably used them when their children were as old as 4 years old - if they were out on a long walk or a hike and the child got tired, they just popped the child in the Ergo and finished off the trek. The only time my back has ever hurt after baby-wearing in the Ergo was two Saturdays ago. But I probably wore him for about 8 hours before it started to hurt, so that's really not bad! I think we'll try the back carry some time in the next few weeks, so I'll let you know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! 8 hours! That is great, maybe I will start to save up for one! I saw a pink one that is cute, but of course I wouldn't do that because I wouldn't want to carry a boy in that :)

    ReplyDelete